SPUG: pod2man: changing point size?

SPUG-list-owner tim at consultix-inc.com
Fri Aug 1 19:02:19 CDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 03:07:37PM -0700, Tim Maher wrote:

I found a fix; see below.

-Tim

> It seems hard to imagine, but there doesn't seem to be any way to
> specify what point-size and vertical-spacing you want when using
> pod2man to convert POD format documentation into troff. There's
> no reason why this should be disallowed, because POD documents
> don't have page-breaks in the first place, and therefore don't
> need preservation by regulating the amount of text per page.
>
> I can get the (slightly larger) size settings I want in the
> resulting PS (via groff -Tps file.man>file.ps) or PDF
> (via pod2pdf file.ps>file.pdf) files, but only by doing a lot of
> editing of file.man, to insert in many places.
> 	.ps 13
> 	.vs 15

I figured it out; in addition to issue the directives, I have to
set the number registers too, because the changes via directives
are undone on the next .RT (reset) call, used by many macros,
whereas the ones established through register settings specify
new undo-values, so they remain in effect.

So here's the solution

=begin man

.ps 13
.nr PS 13p
.vs 15
.nr VS 15p

=end

Believe it or not, I like troff!  I just implemented a table-formatting
mechanism for Magicpoint using "tbl | groff -mm" to get the columns aligned,
and headings spanned, etc. 8-}

-Tim
| Tim Maher (206) 781-UNIX  (866) DOC-PERL  (866) DOC-UNIX   |
| tim(AT)Consultix-Inc.Com  TeachMeUnix.Com  TeachMePerl.Com |