SPUG: SOHO XP Perl projects

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRunningWolf at att.net
Mon Nov 25 19:36:13 CST 2002

I've been pondering XP.  I've read a bit.  Used it a bit, usually
under the name of common sense, or common practice.  Never jumped in
whole hog.

I've been pondering a funded project in which to study its
application.  (Some would call it on the job (or contract) training.)

Lacking that specifically funded connection, but way over-endowed with
pondering time, I've been pondering XP at SOHO (Small Office, Home
Office) locations.  Like my small home office.  Perhaps like yours?

I've been avoiding some personal projects that could benefit from an
outsiders' perspective.

So I got to thinking some more...

If XP is that good that we'd talk someone else to spending their money
to support a team to use it, is it good enough to use at home on our
own time?  On our own dime?  For Open Source?

So I got to playing...  In my mind.

Perhaps it's time to play a bigger game... In the "real" world.

I propose an XP play shop (work shops are sooo serious).

Do any of you over-qualified, under-employed, over-creative,
under-socially-engaged, over-temporally-abundant folks have a pet
project that would benefit from being connected, in a pair-wise
fashion, to another such person?  Or even if you're not
under-employed, do you have an out-of-work project that could benefit
from the same team-ness that you have at work?

If so, let's get together.  A big XP mosh pit, if you will, to pair
off and try
  pairwise programming
  functional testing
  refactoring
  simplifying
  metaphors
  integration
  planning
amongst our SPUGly selves.

I propose a Wednesday lunch (there's a $7 Indian buffet up the street
from me) where we can quickly make a pitch for what we have and what
we need, then pairwise spend the remaining part of the afternoon
however it works out.

[I know it's short notice, but I'm out of town next week, and this
just occured to me yesterday.  If it's sucessful, it will be repeated
at other times and locations.]

Please reply to the list, or call me (206/782-8377) if you're
interested.

The SPUGs go marching two by two, hurah, hurah.....

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!
        MichaelRunningWolf at att.net