SPUG: Re: perl2exe perl-cgi file size problem

Marc M. Adkins Marc.M.Adkins at Doorways.org
Fri May 3 12:13:59 CDT 2002

> Sounds like you are spending a lot of time on something that is of no
> consequence.  You say you "don't want to be paying for more ram"?  Modern
> OS's, even Windoze, use virtual memory to run large executables - the only
> issue for a mere 1 MB executable is that it might run a tad more
> slowly than
> a smaller executable, but 1 MB is not all that big.

I wonder, though, what happens when 100 page requests invoking the same 1 Mb
executable hit at the same time.  Does that same 1 Mb get loaded into memory
100 times?  When most of it is in a DLL that DLL will be loaded once and
shared, but I don't think that executables get loaded just once.  Could be
wrong though.

mma

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org