SPUG: Re: perl2exe perl-cgi file size problem

Richard Anderson richard at richard-anderson.org
Fri May 3 08:38:45 CDT 2002

Sounds like you are spending a lot of time on something that is of no
consequence.  You say you "don't want to be paying for more ram"?  Modern
OS's, even Windoze, use virtual memory to run large executables - the only
issue for a mere 1 MB executable is that it might run a tad more slowly than
a smaller executable, but 1 MB is not all that big.  Your assumption that
the size of the executable is causing the behavior you see is possible but
not likely - I'd suspect some buggy feature in IIS / perl2exe / Windoze.
Have you tried running simpler Perl CGI scripts in the same environment?
I'd guess that you can overcome this problem by diddling your code, but the
size of the executable is not likely to be an issue.

Cheers,
Richard
richard at richard-anderson.org
www.richard-anderson.org