SPUG: backticks, system, and ImageMagick

Tim Maher tim at consultix-inc.com
Sun Mar 17 18:15:33 CST 2002

(Forwarded after removal of spam-triggers)
-Tim

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 12:14:57PM -0800, Richard Wood wrote:
> I am a unix kind of guy trying to function in a win98
> situation.
>
> I am having a problem with backticks and I am looking
> for new ideas on what it could be.
>
> I am running in a MSDOS window trying to execute some
> ImageMagick commands from perl.  The path to the
> ImageMagick bin directory in included in my PATH
> environment variable.  I can issue all of the
> ImageMagick commands from the command line (mogrify,
> identify, composite, and montage and they all return
> the usage for the command.  When I write a very simple
> script such as:

Another approach to using ImageMagick tools from within Perl
programs is to use the Image::Magick module.  This provides a
nice, object oriented interface to all of the functionallity
of the ImageMagick library.  Error conditions are available
via return values of method calls instead of STDERR capturing
trickery.

For more info, see:
http://www.simplesystems.org/ImageMagick/www/perl.html

The installation section claims that you can install it on Win95, though
I only have experience using it on Linux and Solaris systems. I seem to
remember that installing it wasn't quite as straight forward as most
modules, but don't recall the exact trouble. I think that it was getting
a compatible version of the ImageMagick library installed.

Have fun,
-C.

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org