SPUG: Re: Math Genius

Ken Clarke kenslinux at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 25 20:00:06 CDT 2002

...  So, I
> set out to undo the ancient script.  The reason I need the unique answer
is
> that only one combination can be "packed" back to the correct 5 character
> alphanumeric string.

    Ahhh, that's what you mean by unique!

  Mark Yocom provided the solution I needed by
> essentially figuring out the logic the first guy used to encode the string
(
> I think).

    Red flag (the "I think" part :).  Why don't you cut and paste the
encoding portion of the script (assuming it doesn't contain sensitive or
proprietary information) so that we can verify that Mark's algorithm chooses
the correct one from the result set?  After all, that one example produced
13 WRONG number combinations, and the fact that it got the example right may
just be coincidental.

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org