SPUG: Self-generating code: yea or nay? (was: Dijsktra is Dead)

dancerboy dancerboy at strangelight.com
Mon Aug 12 22:20:55 CDT 2002

It sounds like all of the examples of "good" uses of self-generating
code are essentially *compilers* of some sort or other.  Obviously a
compiler is going to generate code:  that's what a compiler does.
That one may write a compiler *in* Perl that compiles *to* Perl may
seem a little twisted and confusing, but really it's no more twisted
than, say, all those C++ compilers out there which were mostly
written in C++.

Are there any examples of good uses of self-generating code *other*
than in compilers or interpreters?

-jason

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org