SPUG: Shemales and Transsexuals !!!

Tim Maher tim at teachmeperl.com
Mon Apr 8 19:33:03 CDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 12:29:54PM -0400, Mako Hill wrote:
> > "In other news," I've been trying to talk our Perl Mongers "majordomo
> > administrator" into installing "spamassassin" or something similar, and
> > he says he'll get around to that when he can.
>
> Well there's nothing keeping you from doing it now on your local machine
> or your mail server. That's what I've been doing and I was totally (and
> happily) confused by your message referring to spam I've never seen.

I personally *am* running spamassassin on my system, but that's not much
consolation to those who are complaining about the incoming spam load. 9-}
(And it's not perfect; it periodically goes crazy and consumes all the
virtual memory in the universe, crashing X11.) Unless we can keep most
of this junk out of our members in-boxes, I'm afraid we'll be losing
some subscribers to the list.

Our Majordomo "taboo-headers" and "taboo-body" filters
(that I modified from the set of 8,300 regexes provided by Bill Campbell)
have been doing an excellent job of weeding out about 80% of the spam
that hits the list; I'm hoping that some additional fine-tuning can be
applied to eliminate most of the rest.

As discussed earlier, we've thus far avoided closing the list (preventing
non-subscribers from posting, which would instantly kill the spam),
because keeping it open has been advantageous for those who post from
multiple systems.

However, if SPAM continues at unacceptably high levels, we just might have
to close the list. (Prospective SPAMsters could still SPAM us after
subcsribing, but they're unlikely to bother doing that, IMHO.)
Some people would need to subscribe under multiple addresses so they
could continue posting from different sites, but most of our subscribers
would see no difference except for a drastic reaction in SPAM.

So what do *you* think?  Is it time to close the list, or should we endure
the current level of SPAM to accommodate the "peripatetic posters"?

--
|  Dr. Tim Maher, CEO, Consultix          (206) 781-UNIX/8649;  ask for FAX#   |

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org