SPUG: Who/What is a Perl User?

Phillip Neal phillipneal at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 15 08:02:34 CDT 2001

Yo dude,

>If you're reading this message, you self-identify as a "perl user".  What
>does that mean to you?  What do you do?  How does Perl affect your life?

It means :

1. I know a good thing when I see it.

2. I'm too old to change from procedural programming to
   object oriented programming, which as far as I can tell OO means
   full employment for anal-retents.

3. I believe that doing something in 30 minutes in Perl with a big
   internal organization fight as opposed to 30 days in Java and
   some slime ball greasing around saying how cool everything is
   is worth it.

4. I am to lazy to learn Java. And what does it do for me anyway ?

5.
>I have two levels of interest for sparking this discussion:
>
>     self-interest -- Although I am a perl-loving job hunter, I do not want
>programming to be my sole focus on my next position.  Your answers will
>help
>*me* to pursue other possibilities.
>
>     community-interest -- I see this list, and Perl at large, as a
>community.  Your answers will help *us* to understand who we are, what our
>core interests and values are, and how we interact.

To paraphrase Hermann Goering ' when I hear the word "us" I reach for
my rifle '

Ciao for now,

Phil Neal

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org