SPUG: perltidy HTML colorer

Matt Tucker tuck at whistlingfish.net
Wed Dec 26 16:45:30 CST 2001

-- Scott Blachowicz <scott at mail.dsab.rresearch.com> spake thusly:

> On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 02:49:39PM -0500, Michael R. Wolf wrote:
>> Andrew Sweger <andrew at sweger.net> writes:
>>
>> > Many editors provide the same service directly on the
>> > source code in questions. vi/vim/Nedit/etc.
>>
>> I love the cperl-mode of gnu emacs [1].
>
> Except that it DOES get confused by some items, like "here scripts"
> and some of the special $ variables, IIRC.  There are times where I
> just give up on it and use indented-text-mode on some scripts, but it
> does work on most things I've tried to edit with it.

I've found that most of the time when cperl-mode is getting confused,
it's not set up properly. It's can help tremendously to have:

    (setq cperl-use-syntax-table-text-property t)
    (setq cperl-syntaxify-by-font-lock t)
    (setq cperl-use-syntax-table-text-property-for-tags t)
    (setq cperl-font-lock t)

Some of this stuff didn't used to be possible in XEmacs, but is now in
21.4 and up due to the porting of syntax-table text properties (extents
in XEmacs) from GNU Emacs.