SPUG: Re: search algorithm

Richard Anderson richard at richard-anderson.org
Mon Dec 17 17:48:24 CST 2001

A more detailed statement of the problem might be of help here.  Do you have
to find every occurence of a string or just a single occurence?  What is the
purpose of this application? Etc.

My initial inclination is that a restructuring of the data would be the best
way to speed things up.  Could the 7000 searches be run each time the files
are updated and the results stored?  How about using a B-tree search?  How
about looking through Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, vol. 3 or
Sedgewick, Algorithms in C++: Fundamentals, Data Structure, Sorting,
Searching?

Hope this helps.

Richard Anderson
Software Professional