SPUG: search algorithm

Martin Korb mkorb at versuslaw.com
Mon Dec 17 09:57:25 CST 2001

Here is the problem:

I have 7000 database entries which may or may be found in the content of over 50000 files.
At the moment I am using a linear search,
the search patterns are the keys of a hash, find(\&wanted, $startdir) is called on each key of the hash, if the key is found, stop recursing the dir, delete this key and go the next one, start all over again. This could potentially be over 3 x 10 exp 7 searches.
Obviously, this will take much to long with a linear search algorithm.

Which is the best algorithm to use for such a search and where can I find out more about it? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks  Martin