SPUG: HTTP Headers

Parr, Ryan Ryan.Parr at wwireless.com
Tue Dec 11 13:04:31 CST 2001

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. After testing them all here's what I've
come up with:

** Disclaimer **
The following results are only my experience. Similarities between these
results and the results of others, living or dead, are merely coincidence.
Your results may vary.
****************

Tacking on the filename as JP suggested (loadpage.cgi/filename.doc?id=xxx)
works. The
Open/Save dialog reports the '?id=xxx' portion, but it is removed when saved
or opened, unless it's inlined and then saved.

Tacking on the filename at the end of the URL per BR's suggestion works for
the Open/Save dialog, however the actual opened or saved document is named
the cgi. I.E. loadpage.doc.

BT's suggestion of using Content-disposition: attachment;
filename=filename.doc works for when the file is opened, but the Open/Save
dialog is the URL.

Combining <url><?parms>/<filename> with the "Content-disposition:" HTTP
headers will take care of any end-user confusion, and all methods are logged
for future solutions.

Thanks again for all your help!

-- Ryan Parr