SPUG: Shared memory system

Colin Meyer cmeyer at helvella.org
Thu Dec 6 13:31:09 CST 2001

Hi, Peter,

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 08:19:45AM -0800, Peter Darley wrote:
> Friends,
> 	I'm interested in setting up a shared memory system on a web application,
> for database caching and such, and I was wondering if any of y'all had any
> helpful suggestions?

If you are running under Apache then consider coding a mod_perl application.

There are many oportunities for caching withing a mod_perl app, and there
are a number of useful modules.

Probably the best place to start is the guide: http://perl.apache.org/guide
There's a lot of information, but it is well worth your while to read
it if you are plan on doing mod_perl coding.

If your question was a little more specific, then I might be able to
give you more precise advice. If you are considering reading
informtation from a database to cache in ram, perhaps that information
belongs in a regular file, and you could let your operating system cache
it in disk buffers. That is often quite fast enough.

Also keep in mind that if you are reading/writing to a database on each
http request of a webapp, the connection time (creating a new db handle)
can be horrendous; caching the db handle between requests can save you
a bundle.  See Apache::DBI.

Have fun,
-C.

Have fun,