SPUG: Perl Volunteering

Michael Herrewig mherrewig at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 22 03:23:02 CST 2000

Greetings,

I have been working for the past few years to steer my career toward system
administration and/or programming.  I will be hiring material after I
achieve one more thing:  experience.  There are only two ways I can think of
to gain experience without getting it on-the-job.

1)  Buy all the necessary equipment and be my own Sysadmin.  This would be
fun, however, I have neither the money, nor the space to persue this option.

2)  Volunteer my time to a non-profit organization.  The only drawback to
this is not getting paid for my time.  But my payment would be the
much-needed experience.

My questions to you wonderful people are these:

-Is there such a thing as volunteer sysadmin-ing or programming?

-Where could I start looking for such an opportunity?

I want to focus mostly on *nix and perl and avoid MS if at all possible.  I
am eager to explore any ideas you may have.  Thank you.

Mike