SPUG: repeatedly hitting submit button

Terry Nightingale tnight at ironworx.com
Fri Jun 30 16:04:48 CDT 2000

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, jeff wrote:

> what happens when the user repeatedly hits the submit button on a form
> that is handled by a cgi script?
>
> does the browser ignore the click or does it fire off additional cgi

To the best of my understanding, it's browser-specific.  Most browsers cancel
the current HTTP request (if any) and initiate a new HTTP request each time a
submit button is pressed.

It may be of interest to note that the server-side handling is server-specific
as well.  A well-behaved server will kill the CGI process when the first request
is cancelled, and spawn a new CGI process to handle the additional request.

Hope this helps...

--
Terry Nightingale <tnight at ironworx.com>
Principal Consultant, IronWorx LLC