SPUG: Does readpipe fail to parse arguments?

Vinhvt at aol.com Vinhvt at aol.com
Tue Jul 25 20:17:28 CDT 2000

In a message dated 7/25/00 12:10:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
jdevlin at stadiumdistrict.com writes:

<< Anyone have experience with this problem? Do you recommend the upgrade?

 #This works great:
    system "$document_root/cgi-bin/print_state_option.pl",$edit_fields{state};

 #This fails to pass the arguments:
    $fields{'print_state_popup'} =
        readpipe
"$document_root/cgi-bin/print_state_option.pl",$fields{state};
    #the code doesn't crash, it just never sees the arguments

Hi,

I am new to this group, and I am no expert in Perl.
My limited understanding, based on 5.00502, has been that readpipe expects an
expression, not a list.  In that case, $fields{state} will not be passed to
your .pl script.  May this has change with later versions.
In any event, on unix with 5.00502, the following works fine for me.
@field = readpipe ("\$HOME/print_1stday.pl @months{@ARGV}");

Good luck.

Best regards,

Vinh V. Tat