SPUG: Perl embedded in threaded app

Jamie Shaffer jshaffer at chronology.com
Fri Jul 21 14:43:02 CDT 2000

Is anyone else using an embedded Perl interpreter in a threaded application?

We have such a set-up with embedded perl; this Perl is NOT threaded,
although the application that calls it is threaded. Everything seemed fine
and any embedded Perl was happily parsed and executed...until the fatal
moment when someone put a system("data"); line in the embedded Perl.
Perl does parse and execute this, but it appears to destroy the threads in
the main app in the process. The same is true for exec or 'backtick' calls.

We considered compiling Perl using threads, but are not sure that this is
the problem. In addition, there are big NOT FOR PRODUCTION
disclaimers all over the thread readme and hints.

We decided to try a non-threaded version of our app. After a few days of
rearranging, we have created such a beast and indeed all is happy again...
except that we lose some future options since we don't have a threaded
app.

Anyone have suggestions or insights into what the story is with Perl in
threaded apps is invited to send mail my way!

Thanks

Jamie Shaffer

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org