SPUG: Urgent Contract Jobs, telecommuting

Tim Maher/CONSULTIX tim at consultix-inc.com
Mon Feb 28 16:36:44 CST 2000

SPUGsters,

I spoke to this California guy on the phone this morning; he called
my 800 number, and proceeded to speak at lightning speed about their
desperate need for immediate help from good Perl programmers.

I tried to brush him off, telling him that my company primarily does
Perl training, and the only programmers we know live in Seattle, so they
wouldn't be interested.  His frantic retort was "not even if the money
was astronomical?"  So apparently they are in dire straits, and willing
to pay big bucks for programmers who can start immediately, telecommuting
style.

I spoke to two different guys in this conversation, both exhibiting the
same panicky vibes of acute desperation.  Personally, if I were going
to get involved with the likes of them, I'd be asking for a sizeable
retainer up front - who knows, maybe they don't manage their cash-flow
any better than their programming staff!

-Tim