SPUG: Apache mod_perl behaivior

Peter Darley pdarley at serviceintelligence.com
Fri Feb 25 10:19:58 CST 2000

Friends,
	I'm seeing some behaviors with Apache and mod_perl that I can't tell
weather it's just the way it works or if I'm doing something wrong.  The
issues are thus:
	Perl doesn't seem to undefine or destroy any variables, even ones which are
scoped under my() and which I undef when I'm done with them.  I understand
that mod_perl won't return the memory used, but this seems to be different.
The most obvious example of this example is that it doesn't destroy database
connections that it uses, so I will eventually get one mySQL process for
every procedure I prepare() in each of my scripts, times the number of
children I have.  This isn't too big a deal, but it doesn't really seem
right to me.
	The other thing I'm seeing is that every time a script is called I get the
following error in my /var/log/httpd/error_log file:
		Database handle destroyed without explicit disconnect at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/Apache/DBI.pm line 119.
	This is really odd, since it doesn't close the connection to the database.
It doesn't seem to cause me any problems, but also doesn't seem right.

Thanks for your help!

Peter Darley

    POST TO: spug-list at pm.org        PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org