SPUG: Tied Hashes: Works with Nested Hashes?

Tim Maher/CONSULTIX tim at consultix-inc.com
Thu Feb 3 20:51:24 CST 2000

For the first time, I'm trying to "tie" a non-trivial hash  (one with
values that are references to other "nested" hashes), and having trouble.

With the "dbmopen() or die" and "dbmclose()" calls commented-out,
I can load, manipulate, and print-out my hash structure just fine;
when I remove the comment symbols, all I seem to be left with in my
complex data structure is the keys for the uppermost hash!  The *.dir,
*.pag files DO get created, and loaded with stuff.

I don't see any statement anywhere that you can only tie simple hashes,
but now I'm wondering if that's the limitation.

What's the scoop?
| Tim Maher, PhD  Consultix &              (206) 781-UNIX/8649           |
|  Pacific Software Gurus, Inc             Email: tim at consultix-inc.com  |
|  UNIX/Linux & Perl Training              http://www.consultix-inc.com  |
| 2/22: UNIX  2/28: Perl Modules  2/29: Int. Perl  3/3: Pattern Matching |

    POST TO: spug-list at pm.org        PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org