SPUG: Re: CONSULTIX Perl Classes

Tim Maher/CONSULTIX tim at consultix-inc.com
Thu Sep 2 21:54:45 CDT 1999

>> Message submitted at: Thu Sep  2 19:54:45 PDT 1999

See below for comments from a recent student on Perl Training
from my company, which many clients have found to be worthwhile!

-Tim Maher
*==================================================================*
| Tim Maher, PhD  CEO, Consultix &    (206) 781-UNIX/8649          |
|      Pacific Software Gurus, Inc.   Email: tim at consultix-inc.com |
| "The UNIX/Perl Training Experts"    http://www.consultix-inc.com |
|CLASSES: Shell+Utils: 8/23-27; Perl: 8/30-9/1;  Perl Modules: 9/2;|
*==================================================================*

>Hi,
>
>I am looking for feedback on Consultix, Inc.'s Perl Programming
>class in Kirkland, WA.

I highly recommend Consultix's perl programming course. I had been
studying perl for a year before I took the class and had written several
major web cgi-bin applications. I found that Tim's class did a lot
to firm up my understanding of the language. Tim didn't know this, but
during the course I had an open telnet session to my linux server at
home and I compared my "self taught" techniques, to those presented in
the class. I still use the class workbook for a reference. It sits
right next to the camel and cookbook.

Tim's class is a lot more than just lecture.  You will find yourself
challenged each day to put into practice, via lab work, the concepts
covered in each session. Tim's class moved me out of the realm of "type
this, and it works" to understanding *how* things work. I have moved on
to working with objects, and database programming.  I'm now doing things
in perl that my co-workers call "magic".

If I can only nail down regular expressions - I would be in perl
heaven. (I have bought the "owl" book, now all I have to do is read it!)
Hey Tim, how about a regex class! Something with a more depth than what
was already covered in the perl class.

{Tim comments: we now have a one-day Advanced Pattern Matching class,
which is taught in the same week as our 3-day Intro class}

Tell your boss to send you to the class!
It's a good investment.

      < \   .`--'''      `     /| William Julien moonbeam at catmanor.com
       `-,;'              ;   ; ; http://www.catmanor.com/moonbeam/
 __...--''     __...--_..'  .;.'  vi is my shepherd; i shall not font.

According to S ED: