SPUG: Perl classes

S ED fen_land at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 2 17:23:29 CDT 1999

Hi Ryan-

I took Perl Programming through continuing education at BCC.  It was more
than $295 I think, but I assume we are talking about the same class.

I have mixed feelings about the class.  It was not hands-on at all.  Lame.
There was homework, which I had fun trying and occasionally failing at.  The
value I got from the class was the repetition of things that I was reading
and trying to get a grasp on.

I would not say that I did not learn anything.  But I wish I had read the
description better and fully understood that it was not hands on.  Let me
tell you, listening to 3 hours at a time of Perl is sometimes tedious,
depending on the subject.

If you can find a hands on class I would recommend you go for that.  For a
cheaper Perl class, the BCC class adequate I suppose.  I found that the
homework did provoke me to ask some good questions of my personal Perl
advisor - the lately-silent Andrew.

I believe I got a nicely bound, orange covered book of all the slides (yes
this a PowerPoint dominated presentation).  I think I got the O'Reilly Perl
Programming, although the class was targeted towards one of those Perl in 2
week type books.  In fairness, the Perl in 2 week type book is good for the
programming illiterate - it defines EVERYTHING.

The instructor was a good public speaker.

Samantha