[Southampton-pm] Perl Mongers, Wednesday, 8pm

Duncan Garland duncan.garland at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 4 02:43:16 PDT 2013

Hi Tim,

I didn't try Southampton University, you were going to do that one. It took
me several attempts to get in contact with Portsmouth University because the
IT people wouldn't return my calls or answer my emails. I eventually
succeeded when I went in via the careers department and they got Dr Scott to
contact me.

The proposal has always been to go there in the autumn. That's what Dr Scott
suggested and that's what I put in the post. What we need to do now is to
decide whether we really want to do something and what it should be.

Dr Scott's email offers says they would like to hear about "any gaps in our
curriculum" and offers the opportunity to "present to one of our staff
meetings to set out your concerns". I don't have the skills to do that. I
can't start telling a university where they are going wrong. I'd look a
fool.

That's why I suggested doing something more informal. Just get somebody to
stump up some sponsorship for beer and sandwiches and go in and meet some of
the students. Find out the lie of the land, perhaps not even do a
presentation the first time. Just take in a couple of laptops in case
somebody wants to demonstrate something.

I don't think supporting any students will be a problem. That can be done
over the internet.

The objective will be to drum up interest in Perl or to establish that it
can't be done.

I would like to telephone Dr Scott in the next few weeks with some feedback.
I can't do that at the moment because I don't know who I represent. I told
him I represented a group of a dozen Perl professionals called Southampton
PM. That might not be true, perhaps I just represent myself.

All the best.

Duncan