[Southampton-pm] Perl Mongers, Wednesday, 8pm

Tim Retout tim at retout.co.uk
Mon Jun 3 15:01:45 PDT 2013

I think if we are going to have a meeting at a university, we need to
be clear as to the reasons, and what we are looking to achieve.

I do like the argument around drumming up more graduate applicants for
Perl jobs, but I don't think any students are likely to commute to our
meetings from Portsmouth once a month, so I think it will be hard for
us to offer support to any interested students.  If it were
Southampton University, it might be different, but I know you had
trouble getting in touch with anyone there.

As I recall, student societies tend to go quiet in the summer ('cos
it's either exam time or holidays).  September/October might be the
best time to go into a university, when all the gullible freshers are
still keen.  But we would need to make the student contacts ahead of
time to get this organized.