[SP-pm] Onde Larry Wall trabalhava?

Daniel de Oliveira Mantovani daniel.oliveira.mantovani at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 10:01:51 PST 2010

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.10/cruise_pr.html
"In 1986, Larry Wall was working for a subsidiary of Burroughs on a
project codenamed Blacker. The client was the National Security
Agency. One aim was to develop what are called multilevel secure
wide-area networks. Larry was in charge of an installation in
California that consisted of three VAX machines and three Suns linked
over an encrypted line to a similar array in Pennsylvania. His
supervisor asked him to develop a program that would enable him to
configure the machines on both coasts, while generating reports about
these interactions. He was given a month to come up with something. "

Programming Perl Cap 27 Pág 658:
"O mais incrível é que ele continuou lançando a linguagem enquanto
trabalhava no Jet Propulsion Laboratory
, e depois na NetLabs".

Alguém ainda tem dúvida de alguma coisa ?

2010/1/22 Nilson Santos Figueiredo Jr. <acid06 em gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Daniel de Oliveira Mantovani
> <daniel.oliveira.mantovani em gmail.com> wrote:
>> Nossa incomodar o Wall por causa disso, qualquer idiota já sabe que foi na Nasa.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Wall
> "Due to health reasons these plans were canceled, and they remained in
> the U.S., where Larry instead joined the NASA Jet Propulsion
> Laboratory after he finished graduate school."
>
> http://www.softpanorama.org/People/Wall/index.shtml
> "He worked at Unisys and the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory(JPL). In
> his spare time he developed several free UNIX programs, including the
> rn news reader and metaconfig. It was at Unisys, while trying to glue
> together a bicoastal configuration management system over a 1200 baud
> encrypted link using a hacked-over version of Netnews, that Perl was
> born (1987)."
>
> Agora de fato me parece que Perl foi criado na Unisys. Mas na época
> ele trabalhava tanto na Unisys quanto no JPL. E proavelmente ele
> também teve idéias / desenvolveu partes da linguagem / utilizou em
> primeira mão no próprio JPL.
>
> Acho que as conclusões são: ele trabalhava na NASA quando Perl foi
> criado. Ele não criou Perl na NASA específicamente.
>
> -Nilson Santos F. Jr.

"If you’ve never written anything thoughtful, then you’ve never had
any difficult, important, or interesting thoughts. That’s the secret:
people who don’t write, are people who don’t think."