[Santa-rosa-pm] Hi

Geoffrey Broadwell geoff at broadwell.org
Fri Oct 23 10:23:00 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-23 at 09:01 -0700, Scott Doty wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Scott!

> Perl has always been my favorite language -- and now, perl6 has ignited
> my coding sensibilities.

Clearly showing good taste ....

> I'm using the rakudo in Fedora's distro to play around with perl6.  Even
> wrote a program to get my feet wet, using gather/take -- very spiffy.

:-)

> I'm hoping that soon we will be able to run "perl6 --target=pbc", and
> have it generate pbc for parrot.

Well, you can currently do it in two steps ... or three, if you want to
turn the PBC into a fakecutable (a binary that includes the PBC file and
some magic to load the necessary libs to invoke an interpreter on that
PBC).

> ...and as crazy as this question may sound:  Is anyone using perl6 in
> production?  If so, how do you feel about it?

It's in "production" for the eating-our-own-dogfood stuff, but not yet
widespread.  Once Rakudo * is out, I expect that will change.

> Also, I really think the world of perl is about to become much more
> exciting! :)

Oh, it definitely is.  Join us on FreeNode #perl6 to see the excitement
unfold ....

> Thanks, and Happy Friday. :)

Same to you!

-'f