running out of memory in the Perl interpreter

paul palmer paulp at sonic.net
Thu Dec 28 19:30:15 CST 2000

Folks:

   Can anyone offer me an explanation of what is probably just a small
point?
   I had this coding:

         if (!&parse_template($CONFIG{"success_html_template"}, *STDOUT)) {
         &error("Can't open $CONFIG{"success_html_template"} ($!).");
         }

(the double quotes were left over from an earlier debugging session).
when I ran it, the interpreter gave me an Out of memory! error message. I
wasted lots of time dealing with what seemed like a really serious error.
When I changed the quotes in the subroutine call to single ones, it ran
normally, so:

         if (!&parse_template($CONFIG{'success_html_template'}, *STDOUT)) {
         &error("Can't open $CONFIG{'success_html_template'} ($!).");
         }

 I don't see why that is so important. What's so terrible about nesting
double quotes?  Especially, why Out of memory!  ?

Thank you,
Paul Palmer
new member of Perl SIG