[sf-perl] Perl installation performance benchmark

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Thu May 26 19:21:02 PDT 2022

Hi David!

On Thu, 26 May 2022 18:07:13 -0700
David Christensen <dpchrist at holgerdanske.com> wrote:

> sanfrancisco-pm:
>
> I have Perl installed on various x86_64 (amd64) architecture machines --
> Windows/ Cygwin, macOS, GNU/Linux, and FreeBSD.  I am looking for a
> simple multi-platform benchmark that I can use to gauge performance of a
> Perl installation on any supported platform -- e.g. something like 'time
> perl benchmark.pl' or 'make benchmark'.  (I can use additional tools to
> "dig deeper".)  It would be best if the benchmark only required core
> Perl and if the benchmark supported versions released over the past
> decade or so.  I use threads for concurrency, so it would be nice if the
> benchmark included an option for that (e.g. '-j=4' or 'export
> HARNESS_OPTIONS=j4').  Any suggestions?

Perhaps my
https://github.com/shlomif/black-hole-solitaire/blob/master/black-hole-solitaire/benchmark/benchmark-perl.bash
will be acceptable.

ObJoke:

https://www.ugg.li/there-are-three-kinds-of-lies-lies-damned-lies-and-benchmarks/

-- Shlomi

> TIA,
>
> David

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
Understand what Open Source is - https://shlom.in/oss-fs

The conversation about how someone shouldn’t do something in an IRC channel is
always at least twice as long as the text the accused person created in the
first place — Chris62vw’s Rule