[sf-perl] Perl installation performance benchmark

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Thu May 26 18:07:13 PDT 2022

sanfrancisco-pm:

I have Perl installed on various x86_64 (amd64) architecture machines --
Windows/ Cygwin, macOS, GNU/Linux, and FreeBSD.  I am looking for a
simple multi-platform benchmark that I can use to gauge performance of a
Perl installation on any supported platform -- e.g. something like 'time
perl benchmark.pl' or 'make benchmark'.  (I can use additional tools to
"dig deeper".)  It would be best if the benchmark only required core
Perl and if the benchmark supported versions released over the past
decade or so.  I use threads for concurrency, so it would be nice if the
benchmark included an option for that (e.g. '-j=4' or 'export
HARNESS_OPTIONS=j4').  Any suggestions?

TIA,

David