[sf-perl] Stack Overflow Blog: "Why Perl is still relevant in 2022"

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Fri Jul 8 20:23:19 PDT 2022

Hi Mr. Dodger!

On Fri, 8 Jul 2022 18:13:55 -0700
Sean Dodger Cannon <el.dodgero at gmail.com> wrote:

> Honestly, it seemed to be written by an amateur from the first paragraph.
>
> I like the positivity in theory but it’s starting to look like denialism.
>
> Even the few Perl jobs out there are requiring you use “modern perl”, read:
> “load needless module overhead to make your OO code look like it isn’t
> Perl”, and treating you like an amateur if you didn’t climb onto the Moose
> “perl cosplaying as java” bandwagon.

Moose and Moo are not that bad, IMO, do not have a prohibitive overhead, and
make writing Perl OOP code easier and cleaner:

https://perl-begin.org/topics/object-oriented/

OOP predates java and Moose is very different from java's OOP:

https://github.com/shlomif/Freenode-programming-channel-FAQ/blob/master/FAQ_with_ToC__generated.md#what-does-object-oriented-programming--oop--mean

> Otherwise, we’re pretty much stuck searching for a Rosetta Stone to figure
> out how to do super advanced shit we’ve been doing for decades, but in
> python instead because it has a marketing department.
>
> Oh well. Such is life, and since I don’t see being able to “use
> Tensorflow;” in the foreseeable future I guess I need to put on my big boy
> pants and make myself learn the weird, nonsense language of snakes instead.

Honestly, while I still love and use Perl 5, I also like Python 3 a lot:

* https://www.shlomifish.org/meta/FAQ/thought_you_were_a_Perl_guy.xhtml

Python is very easy to learn, and some people were able to tweak py code just
by opening an existing codebase in a text editor.

>> Dodger
>
> On Friday, 8 July 2022, yary <not.com at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Nice to see a positive article, even if it does start to look a little
> > amateurish after a while- comments had some valid critiques. And it's still
> > better than the nothing I've ever written for StackOverflow. Thanks for
> > pointing it out!
> >
> > -y
> >

> > On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 11:15 PM William Michels <wjm1 at caa.columbia.edu>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> July 6, 2022
> >> Stack Overflow Blog:
> >> "Why Perl is still relevant in 2022"
> >> https://stackoverflow.blog/2022/07/06/why-perl-is-still-relevant-in-2022/

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
List of Text Editors and IDEs - https://shlom.in/IDEs

Everybody has their pet peeve. Except Chuck Norris.  He can never become
irritated. When somebody does something Chuck Norris disapproves of, he calmly
kills them, and then goes on with the rest of his life.
    — https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/facts/Chuck-Norris/