[sf-perl] The SF Perl Raku Study Group, 03/28 at 1pm PDT

Tiejun Li tiejli at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 29 09:08:16 PDT 2021

 For both of you, Joseph and Yary,
I filed a police report at Milpitas Police Department because of harassment. Please feel free to check it out.

TJ

    On Monday, March 29, 2021, 11:37:29 PM GMT+8, yary <not.com at gmail.com> wrote:

 Hi Joe & other Raku study group attendees,
At the time I left, we were looking at a grammar with a speed-memory issue on large-ish files. I had a germ of an idea which I couldn't express, and from the meeting notes I see you have a simple fix "by changing stuff regex (.\*?) to non-greedy (.\*)" I suspect the greedy-optimization works because the thing after the "stuff" regex is near the end of the file. Thus if instead it was close to the beginning, it would have a similar issue with greedy and non-greedy would fix.
With a night to sleep on it, the thing I was thinking & trying to say is that, in the specialized HTML-grammar you had, the decision points are all at left-brackets. By re-writing "stuff" so that it will only backtrack when it hits a bracket, I expect more speed-memory gains.
How well does this perform vs the simple .* greedy fix?
    regex stuff    { (  # capture stuff (positional capture might not be needed)        [               # Stuff is a group of either            \<          # a left-bracket decision point          ||            # or            <-[ \< ]>+: # a ratcheting string of non-decision points        ]*              # 0-many of those. Greedy or non-greedy both work?    ) }  # end capture, end regex
This was harder to express verbally & in code than I expected!
-y