[sf-perl] The SF Perl Raku Study Group, 03/28 at 1pm PDT

yary not.com at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 08:36:58 PDT 2021

Hi Joe & other Raku study group attendees,

At the time I left, we were looking at a grammar with a speed-memory issue
on large-ish files. I had a germ of an idea which I couldn't express, and
from the meeting notes I see you have a simple fix *"by changing stuff
regex (.\*?) to non-greedy (.\*)*" I suspect the greedy-optimization works
because the thing after the "stuff" regex is near the end of the file. Thus
if instead it was close to the beginning, it would have a similar issue
with greedy and non-greedy would fix.

With a night to sleep on it, the thing I was thinking & trying to say is
that, in the specialized HTML-grammar you had, the decision points are all
at left-brackets. By re-writing "stuff" so that it will only backtrack when
it hits a bracket, I expect more speed-memory gains.

How well does this perform vs the simple .* greedy fix?

    regex stuff
    { (  # capture stuff (positional capture might not be needed)
        [               # Stuff is a group of either
            \<          # a left-bracket decision point
          ||            # or
            <-[ \< ]>+: # a ratcheting string of non-decision points
        ]*              # 0-many of those. Greedy or non-greedy both work?
    ) }  # end capture, end regex

This was harder to express verbally & in code than I expected!

-y