[sf-perl] Managing Perl Projects

Michael Friedman frimicc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 15:45:10 PDT 2013

For automated interface (Web GUI) testing, Polyvore is using a combination of tools:

* Test::WWW::Mechanize for web pages that don't involve Javascript.
* Test::WWW::Selenium for web pages that do involve Javascript, but work on Linux Firefox.
* Sauce (an external service) for web pages that involve Javascript, but work on other browsers.

If you're doing something that doesn't have a Web GUI, I'm not sure where you would turn.

For our test environment we have a single script that sets up everything for the tests: creates a local instance of MySQL, populates initial data, initializes Selenium, and returns the important connecting information (port numbers, for example) so that the actual tests can use them. This script runs before the tests run every time (automatically in Jenkins) so that each test run has a blank slate.

For testing non-blank-slates, developers don't run the setup script every time, so we get old testing cruft in our systems. That way the automated tests don't break because of it -- our test runs do and we can fix things before committing them.

It's a pretty cool setup, I must say.
-- Mike Friedman