[sf-perl] [poll] What Perl IDE do you use?

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Tue May 3 08:22:05 PDT 2011

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 8:23 AM, Michael Friedman
<friedman at highwire.stanford.edu> wrote:

> It's interesting to me that, except for UltraEdit (who might be accused of stuffing the ballot box in 2009), the percentages and order are about the same on both polls, a year apart.
>
> Does that show that we're all set in our ways and don't change editors very often or does it show that there are only a few really good editors out there and all the "new guys" are just wandering around the edges? My guess would be some of both: you find an editor you like and then you spend the next 3 months customizing it and learning it well so you can be highly productive. That is a serious incentive to not switch unless the new editor is much much better. It'd be like having to learn how to drive all over again if you bought a Ford instead of a Toyota -- not many people would switch brands.
> Which brings me to a further question for the group: how much have you customized your editor?

When I ran the poll I got a lot of comments. People were complaining
that I mashed together vi and vim while they are a world apart and the
"other" field was also filled with new names.

I also posted a link to the poll on LinkedIn where too I got a lot of
comments. Even months after the poll was already closed.

I think many people, especially in the open source community, are very
attached to their editor.
They get very emotional about it. It might be on par with language
preferences and tab/space preferences.

I would offer a third explanation to your observation. Both the poll
and the survey were very biased to the open source Perl community. I
think the "industry people" were represented a lot less. Either
because they don't care or because we have not managed to reach them.

I believe that the "involved people" would spend a lot more time on
configuring their development environment to their liking (including
the editor) while the "9-5 people" would do a lot less.
The latter expect to have an environment already tailored to the task.

In the case of Padre, that would be programming in Perl.

So with Padre I am not really expecting the "hard core" people to
switch to it but I hope some of them will realize building an
environment that can be easily installed and easily used by people who
do not yet have an environment setup is good for the Perl world.
Specifically I heard from a number of hard-core Perl developers
sentences along this one:
"I won't use Padre but I'd recommend it to my (less experienced) co-workers."

I would love to give a presentation about Padre on one of the SF.pm
meetings but unfortunately
I just missed the last one by 2 hours and now I am already back in my
home country.

In any case I had fun in San Francisco :) I'd recommend the Rocketboat
http://www.rocketboatsf.com/
to anyone. Especially on a windy day.

regards
   Gabor