[sf-perl] ORM vs. DBI

Michael Friedman friedman at highwire.stanford.edu
Sun Feb 27 13:05:03 PST 2011

Quinn,

I remember reading those slides the first time, but not quite understanding them. They make much more sense now that I know a bit about ORMs. Thanks for reminding me of them!

I agree, I had immediate worries about the one-at-a-time-ness of ORMs. Heck, I have enough trouble with my peers at the office being naive about DBs and killing the server by trying to do something one-at-a-time for hundreds of thousands of rows. The DBA would kill me if I made the code any more conducive to such things.

Still, for smaller databases or smaller data sets, I can see why the ORM would encourage faster development, especially in a shop without a trained DBA. It stops you from making the most stupid decisions (and typos), even if it doesn't handle large-scale operations. (How many times have we all forgotten the WHERE clause on an update? Hrm?)

-- Mike
Mike Friedman | HighWire Press, Stanford Univ | friedman at highwire.stanford.edu