[sf-perl] ORM vs. DBI

David Fetter david at fetter.org
Sun Feb 27 13:01:09 PST 2011

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 12:10:31PM -0800, Quinn Weaver wrote:
> I agree with the points made so far about the complementary (and
> optional) nature of ORMs.

I'd like to distinguish again between O-R mappers from SQL generators.

Mappers are things that handle the translation between object-y things
in the client code's world and the database's.  They're just generally
good OO programming practice in the sense of encapsulation.

SQL generators are a different beast entirely, and often backwards of
good OO programming practice, as they depend intimately on knowledge
of the underlying implementation of the database, which knowledge
falls squarely into the realm of "implementation details" a.k.a.
"private methods.

I know it sounds like hair-splitting, but the ORMs with the most
promise are precisely the ones which make this distinction.

Anyhow, best wishes on your project :)

Cheers,
David.
--