[sf-perl] lack of perl in config management - problem?

James Briggs james at ActionMessage.com
Mon Dec 12 17:35:01 PST 2011

> Final question: perl is such a wonderful glue language - why isn't there
> a major config management tool based in perl?

Hundreds, if not thousands, of system configuration build systems have been
written in Perl. Usually they are one-off and not Open Sourced.

(I use Perl with Redhat's Anaconda/Kickstart system for building systems
for my CentOS servers.)

Puppet and Chef happen to be Open Sourced and supported by companies.

Traditional sysdmin work with Puppet installed is a hassle actually.

Any changes you make on the machine are overwritten by Puppet, so you
have to make a Puppet config change and push that out. Fine with web
clusters, but annoying with onesie and twosie database or mail servers.

Thanks,
James Briggs