[sf-perl] lack of perl in config management - problem?

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Sat Dec 10 15:44:17 PST 2011

At 3:05 PM -0800 12/10/11, Philip J. Hollenback wrote:
> Something I'm thinking about - a lot of sysadmins these
> days are becoming programmers via their need to use
> config management.  The two big config management tools
> are Chef and Puppet.  Both are ruby-based.
>
> So you have lots of people coming to scripting for the
> first time, and they are using ruby.  ...

FWIW, the Ruby web development (eg, Rails) community tends
to feel that developers are responsible for the full stack,
including configuration management.  I'm not sure how many
Ruby web shops actually _have_ sysadmins, per se.

One question I'd have is whether Perl is as facile as Ruby
at the kinds of metaprogramming and internal DSL creation
that (say) Chef uses).  If not, the result of a Perl rework
might not be very pretty.

Some of this stuff might make good fodder for a meeting...

-r
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     rdm at cfcl.com

Software system design, development, and documentation