[sf-perl] [job] AllTrails - #1 Outdoor App on iPhone - Lead Developer

Quinn Weaver quinn at fairpath.com
Sat Apr 16 10:21:15 PDT 2011

2011/4/15 Russell Cook <russell at alltrails.com>:
> I just stumbled on the SF.pm meetup group and was so excited to find it!
> My name is Russell Cook and I'm the founder of AllTrails.com which I'm happy
> to say is powered by Perl.

Hi, Russell,

Thanks for writing, and thanks for following the posting etiquette
("[job]" starting the Subject header).

Your post touches on a question of some interest to me: how many
people are still starting startups on Perl? Ruby and, increasingly,
Python seem to be the choice of new outfits. There's always the
question of whether you need access to a large market of (possibly
less experienced) programmers, or whether you should just use the
language you know best and assume you'll be able to get enough good
people. Of course, if enough people come out of this reasoning
discouraged from starting Perl startups, that leaves more programmers
for oneself. :)

Clearly you've thought through this question. Do you have any thoughts
or experiences you'd be comfortable sharing?

--
Quinn Weaver Consulting, LLC
Full-stack web design and development