[sf-perl] [poll] What Perl IDE do you use?

Michael Friedman friedman at highwire.stanford.edu
Thu Apr 14 13:46:58 PDT 2011

On Mac OS X: TextMate, which has great Perl support, plus the built-in Terminal.app. I use macports to install things like perl itself and cpanminus for modules.

On Solaris and Linux non-GUI servers: vim all the way. The sysadmins at my office install perl itself, so I don't know how they do it. I think they compiled it from scratch.

However, the number one tool in my Perl IDE is... the Perl Debugger! Man, that's good stuff. I had to use jdb for Java debugging recently and 'perl -d' is so much better. Since I work from the commandline most of the time, having an IDE with a debugging GUI is pretty worthless to me, but a good commandline debugger is priceless.

-- Mike
Mike Friedman | HighWire Press, Stanford Univ | friedman at highwire.stanford.edu