[sf-perl] [off topic][screen] limit new window creation within screen?

Matthew Lanier matt at lanier.org
Wed Oct 13 19:43:02 PDT 2010

fellow unix geeks-

i'm using screen in multiuser mode to let someone ride shotgun on a production
maintenance.  i've got the multiuser stuff working, but I can't seen to lock
down permissions sufficiently to let an untrusted user ride along:

> screen -S opsRideAlong

# within screen, i've done

>  '^a:multiuser on'

>  '^a:acladd guest'

>  '^aB:aclchg -wx "#"'

This allows user guest to join the screen session and watch without write
permissions to the windows open at the time the 'aclchg' command was
executed.  Unfortunately, guest can still create ('^a-c') more windows and
write into them, with an open writable shell in my name.  I've searched
far and wide, and can't seem to find a way to disable creation of new
windows in screen or other limit a screen user's ability to create new
windows.

Any hints, o unix masters?

m@

--