[sf-perl] determining console or xwindows mode

Joe Brenner doom at kzsu.stanford.edu
Wed Mar 3 11:14:13 PST 2010

Quinn Weaver <quinn at fairpath.com> wrote:

> Tangent: TRAMP is a great way to run emacs graphically while
> transparently operating on remote files. However, it can be tricky to
> set up (it's supposed to be capable of traversing firewalls using
> multiple ssh hops, but this hasn't always worked for me).

I had some bad experiences with tramp silently mangling files, though
that was in a place that was using a proprietary network file system
that might've had something to do with it.

I had much better luck using this approach:

  http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/R/RK/RKS/ange-ftp-over-ssh.1.1-script.pl

And it's written in perl, too.

(Emacs might be better off if they'd stop trying to do everything in
one single-threaded process.)