[sf-perl] Perl Standards / Perl Best Practices

Quinn Weaver quinn at fairpath.com
Wed Feb 24 21:34:28 PST 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Joe Brenner <doom at kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote:

> Bob goolsby <bob.goolsby at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Why yes I have; cover to cover; twice.
>
> Yes, myself I'm up to three times.
>
>> There is a lot of Damian that I agree with, and there are some
>> things that I don't.
>
> My last time through, I categorized all the recommendations:
> do I disagree or agree, and if I did agree, did it require me to
> change what I do?

I did this, then wrote a custom .perlcriticrc, then still found
myself doing ## no critic sometimes to override a given rule.
As in art, so in code:  sometimes you know the rules but choose
to break them for good reasons.

> Anyway, the sort of thing I was talking about is stuff that
> Damien doesn't touch on... little things like: wouldn't it be
> nice if when you dive into a new perl code base if you always
> knew where to look for the tests for the module you have open?

Yeah.  I use Module::Foo::Bar, $TOP_LEVEL/t/Module-Foo-Bar.t ,
but not everyone does that.

--
Quinn Weaver Consulting, LLC
Full-stack web design and development