[sf-perl] Perl Standards / Perl Best Practices

Fred Moyer fred at redhotpenguin.com
Wed Feb 24 14:09:07 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Bob goolsby <bob.goolsby at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why yes I have; cover to cover; twice.
>
> There is a lot of Damian that I agree with, and there are some things
> that I don't.  We had an interesting hall-way track at PerlCon a
> couple of years ago.....

It is worth considering that Damian made a point of doing 256 best
practices (2**8).  So an indeterminate number of those may only be
there 'because'.

Some I think are critical (such as using bare returns from subs
instead of returning undefined), but others are window dressing.  In
my experience, I think there is a lot of good practices in there, but
trying to implement all of the practices in that book for a multiple
person development is insanity.  The overhead of debating the merits
of controversial practices is more harmful than the practices
themselves.