[sf-perl] Perl Standards / Perl Best Practices

Quinn Weaver quinn at fairpath.com
Tue Feb 23 17:00:34 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Jonathan Swartz <swartz at pobox.com> wrote:
>> Quinn Weaver wrote:
>>>
>>> I swear by most of that book, but I swear *at* some of the modules
>>> Damian's written.  Class::Std in particular once really dorked me with
>>> its lack of thread safety.  Then I graduated to Object::InsideOut,
>>> and, finally (?), Moose.
>>
>> I have some Class::Std code that I've been meaning to port to Moose, but
>> have found the learning curve just steep-enough to discourage me thus far.
>> Any recommendations?
>>

> The basic Moose usage is pretty simple, I've always thought. Have you
> checked out the cookbook:
>
>    http://search.cpan.org/~drolsky/Moose/lib/Moose/Cookbook.pod
>
> and the manual:
>
>    http://search.cpan.org/~drolsky/Moose-0.98/lib/Moose/Manual.pod

I agree.  I used those very same pages.  I just picked up Moose recently,
and it wasn't hard.

One thing I have yet to find is a good Moose singleton module.
MooseX::Singleton
has been failing, complaining that new has already been called (today,
actually).
That sort of defeats the purpose of a singleton. ;)

Also, I'm a bit peeved that protected and private methods aren't part
of the base
system.  But practically it's not really an issue to have everything
rw publicly.
After all, Perl programmers have been doing it for years. :P

--
Quinn Weaver Consulting, LLC
Full-stack web design and development