[sf-perl] SF.pm grant proposal review for TPF

Paul Makepeace Paul.Makepeace at realprogrammers.com
Wed Aug 4 14:32:03 PDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 13:21, Joe Brenner <doom at kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote:
> It's a thought, but even with some funding it's bound to be a lot of
> work...  unless anyone else wants to step up, I think with present
> leadership we're probably a year or so away from even thinking about
> a YAYAPC.

(With my London.pm hat on)

L.pm does occasional day-long tech workshops where speakers, some of
whom are pro perl speakers, present. There's usually so many talks
multiple tracks happen so I would be surprised if there weren't enough
in SF.pm to fill a day. Once you have 50+ ppl showing up, which a
day-long workshop adequately prepared in advance and advertised
(blogs, meetup.com, word of mouth, etc) should _easily_ get, companies
start to take notice as sponsorship opportunities.

The main thing to get is a venue. L.pm has hooked up with universities
in the past but I'm sure there's plenty that'd take 50-100 in the Bay
that'd welcome us for cheap/free in exchange for some recognition.

I'd be very happy to help with this, having been involved in the past.

Paul