[sf-perl] meetup :-(

Fred Moyer fred at redhotpenguin.com
Mon Apr 5 14:11:23 PDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 2:00 PM, David Alban <extasia at extasia.org> wrote:
> i have to log in to see the location?

I just update the setting so that you can see the location.  For
normal meetings at Six Apart the location is only visible to members.
Part of that was me not wanting to post six apart's address just to
consider some privacy for them, but since their address is on their
site maybe that doesn't really matter.

>  i call "bullshit".  pardon my
> negativity, but i'm not a fan of the way meetup works, or perhaps of
> the way we're using it.  i can find naan n curry easily enough on the
> web, but having to log in to see the location of an event just bugs
> the crap out of me.  not to mention, even having to go to the web to
> get details i think should go in the email that gets sent to the list.

Part of this is laziness, part is these announcements get posted to
multiple locations.  So the authoritative details for the event are
kept on Meetup where everyone can RSVP to.  Quinn and Joe both posted
some useful comments for this meetup which wouldn't translate well to
cut and pasting into the email.

> p.s.  please don't take this personally, fred.  apparently i'm cranky today.

Thanks for the feedback :)  The group has gotten busy enough that not
all of our announcements will be completely QA'd before they get
shipped to you, and I just threw the meetup event up so that people
can get an idea of who is attending.

I try to make the normal meeting announcements more polished and
complete, and App::PM::Announce has a been a huge help and reduced
what used to take a couple hours into 15 minutes to post the monthly
meeting announcement.  So we're always looking for ways to make this
smoother.