[sf-perl] Fwd: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, May 27

Fred Moyer fred at redhotpenguin.com
Wed May 27 16:58:19 PDT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Marsee Henon <marsee at oreilly.com>
Date: Wed, May 27, 2009 at 12:41 PM
Subject: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, May 27
To: fred at redhotpenguin.com

If you would like to view this information in your browser, click
here: http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zee18r6sjf5ktuob596edteuf1f31318ktl66sd0

Forward this announcement -
http://post.oreilly.com/f2f/9z1zna6qnl5iifoni3t875u3e3lvf3piof5t70gkrm0

Hi there,

We'll be heading off to Maker Faire
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zqcdu8olrvgglr69harpnc7t25uorlak11m5e698
in San
Mateo, CA, this weekend. If you or any of your group members are
attending, make sure you stop by the O'Reilly Information booth to say
hi. We've got an art project for you and the kids and we'll also be able
to help you find your way around the fair.

If you're looking for alternative ways to get to the event this year
check out our nifty page on traveling by Rail, Bus, or Bike:
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zopm5d5oqf7ls21krpjos82g3maf46c2ei3935t8

Another event happening this weekend in Southern California is the 16th
annual Southwest Computer Conference. It will be held May 29-31, at
the Town & Country Resort and Conference Center in San Diego,
California. For more information visit
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zob9i5f6lt7379up4af9m8tn78lc5cq5cidt7aoo
or contact Judy Taylour at judytaylour(at)theswcc.org

If you're looking to improve your Twittering skills don't miss the
O'Reilly Twitter Boot Camp in New York City on June 15. We're bringing
together an exciting roster of leading Twitter experts--including
O'Reilly Media founder and CEO Tim O'Reilly, Edelman Digital SVP Steve
Rubel, Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh, and more--in an exciting and affordable
one-day conference. Just some of the issues to be explored include
understanding Twitter data, tracking trends, conversing with customers,
growing a brand, and attracting followers.

Group members save $50 by using code ORUG50 when you register.

For more information on Twitter Boot Camp and a complete program, see:
<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zbeacslnkjrlffmgh686pmte43hqa984vk3vns0g email1>

One last thing, we need tech reviewers for the next edition of our
classic "Linux in a Nutshell." Please let me know if you or any of your
members are interested and I'll pass the info along to our editor. We're
looking for many sets of eyes on this one.

--Marsee

O'Reilly UG Program News--Just for User Group Leaders
May 27, 2009
Put Up a Banner, Get a Free Book

We're looking for user groups to display our discount banners on their
web sites. If you send me your group's site with one or more banners,
I'll send you the O'Reilly book(s) of your choice. Choose from
the following list:

The Art Of Community
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zkcriivn054ci5g8snocbkge1alms989ap00aea8
(post this one and we'll preorder the book for you!)

OSCON Banners
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zkdcvf1d48vqarlsct09uscpid48q0qrr6f8i628

O'Reilly School of Technology Banners
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z3lua9d921jvopnt0l66cf7sktcdahnov7binv1g

Customizable O'Reilly Book Widgets
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zdg039q3ud0rso78ee72p6an5jnmo49aik6tq8cg

35% off User Group Discount Banners
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zj3cnf8kmnrf62u7tvb22aed4q1df43cl945a5k0

O'Reilly News for User Group Members
May 27, 2009
New Releases--Books, Short Cuts, and Rough Cuts
Get 35% off from O'Reilly, No Starch, Paraglyph, PC Publishing,
Pragmatic Bookshelf, Rocky Nook, SitePoint, or YoungJin books and ebooks
you purchase directly from O'Reilly. Just use code DSUG when ordering
online or by phone 800-998-9938.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zlr0slmkkfgooeebuje3njc9gi6rjsaopmveggbg

Free ground shipping on orders of $29.95 or more.
For more details, go to:
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z12taigl5ck8dkqsdv2n3g0usv5l2b5h3nfipge0

Did you know you can request a free book, ebook, or PDF to review
for your group? Ask your group leader for more information.

For book review writing tips and suggestions, go to:
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zle2t5ucqk608rimqh0rn3i1d2q9b7uodlg20mq8

New Releases:

Android Application Development
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zpbcg14dl91frsi8a212msccg8i45tkbtuvvtc30

Art of Drum Layering (PC Publishing)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z2u0vjv2nkp17i6opgi9cp1m0fnoir89h7kiup20

Automating System Administration with Perl, Second Edition
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zs8cb88l1ksr8ht475o9j9phfgenp4os5d056edg

Beautiful Security
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zh75daoatbrnd57fq6aig41ul76j06o1ulp9bba0

Computer Orchestration Tips and Tricks (PC Publishing)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zde727cbukgk0tfk45jrrfacjmanlq238rnimdu8

DJing and Live performance with Ableton Live (PC Publishing)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zu8u11uotcgqpcg5q27aavint3js76l6slnbvllo

Even Faster Web Sites: Rough Cuts Version
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zd0sc1fuvhvntn0hpd4cuusn65orolf0a53lo6i8

Google SketchUp: The Missing Manual
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z8sm8c4dimeli00ale3htoaufingmcq9pb5uc700

Gray Hat Python (No Starch)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z9c1304v10bddvf8k45pnihp856tivpjnk9afuc8

Head First Networking
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zheer6en4blabasj8j7ecnb0ovgio8c52v5ondh0

iMovie '09 and iDVD: The Missing Manual
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z26hqdjhiq5p4bfkiramn8j7ctgibfgm5vjcleo0

Impact of P2P and Free Distribution on Book Sales
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z47e8jun8etn979r1ak5ji1psclcu1vmbqjs7r68

iPhoto '09: The Missing Manual
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zo1fpc2a191b48cjpg2gh140bd73majl3hf08rug

iWork '09: The Missing Manual
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z57smsvrs33scvmk8jcu1f1923pff3b5g6edt1s0

Java Message Service, Second Edition
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zs8sngknb5bri0hfm34svknoffiheb34v0v7rnh0

Learning Flash CS4 Professional
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z2hr413d7tj2n2hrobmifg441834pt8vk33g4hu8

Learning SQL, Second Edition
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zsdsvevgrjdjulvog4p9ijj85ho03ts9pq0ci000

Make: Technology on Your Time Volume 18
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1znuf9bmprm4jag5p4n64p46p49pj3d4v55adl600

Mastering the Nikon D700 (Rocky Nook)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z9bbogfuc561f8f51pmpjra3iqf3qorjeaeqvgqg

Online Marketing Inside Out (SitePoint)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z0eeo86cfa802s8qo4v0c9213aandcfbaae9c168

Practical Programming (Pragmatic Bookshelf)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zf1aas2a9ngo3tcf8g5fr0inqbakb0nqj5grp6b0

Programming Clojure (Pragmatic Bookshelf)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zpfalmn2k8ga126ldtfb9g490kcpi1p5sblupeng

Programming Ruby 1.9 (Pragmatic Bookshelf)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zlvlihmfiqkv340r2uutlcvfh6mpu91hlbdsu17o

Regular Expressions Cookbook
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z1ovat1js30cnboov4krla56lj345sv1a58ngqbo

SEO Warrior: Rough Cuts Version
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zacqm492975vtv60804ch5m07s9ongu7rb92jf3g

Sound Equalization Tips and Tricks (PC Publishing)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z7ph323fpqfn3d8etckcsghtj5l0r8umpl0pe5i0

The Art of Concurrency
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zq4s56aqhshg3lokipoquqtp37031644mum4gfq8

The Blender GameKit, Second Edition (No Starch)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zb8nt8399br6u5hhi7gs51squig3ef4nlfh62648

The DAM Book, Second Edition
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z5j6n613etoon0fg5drn23kc404fuvr35rsqs980

The Geek Atlas
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zp8rij47t3l596n4qe3l040ets9ldkl7nfspasn8

The Manga Guide to Physics (No Starch)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zoaj674490981o24npa4kpnvhca3t1gomh10ec9o

The Passionate Programmer (Pragmatic Bookshelf)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z3ieqltl8t76v47k8ko1qt30bei61ef84ar3ubo8

The Twitter Book
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zhkcb1if5desthbuv6lldblv0ho6ckfik533t8g8

Using Google App Engine
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zgn5fdg7iopnijr6880751f8gepcicltdhgo7dg8

Web 2.0 Architectures
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zn8l24faiufqbevc9fmcebvpsj3ug22p4frt3jg0

XMPP: The Definitive Guide
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zc4fm89oemoml57csbskurle2akfncp9kobqda6o

MAKE Magazine Subscriptions

The annual subscription price for four issues is $34.95. When you
subscribe with this link, you'll get a free issue--one plus four
more for $34.95. So subscribe for yourself or friends with this
great offer for UG Members: five volumes for the cost of four.
Subscribe at:
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zbsr35nng0b3jtjmafpac413dthhpkuin0bve4ig

Upcoming Author Events
For more events, please see:
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zo1c3qvdshcgmb01bpbg4cd7psujan48a83ij1gg

Webcast: Finding Design Opportunities in the Twitter Ecosystem
May 29, 2009
Fast approaching its third birthday, the Twitter API has spawned
thousands of applications that extend functionality of the basic
microblogging service. Some applications mature, while others fade away.
The methods and data available through the API continue to evolve, as
does the Twitter community, to create new opportunities for application
development. This webcast takes a closer look at the Twitter design
space by reviewing existing applications across several dimensions and
looking for unaddressed needs of the user and developer community.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z4754kli64ac1rnq605cmh8gp7hhdu29i4pq31jg

Bill Scott at Big (D)esign Conference
May 30, 2009
The Art Institute of Dallas
Dallas, TX
Author Bill Scott (Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for
Rich Interaction) will be presenting "Designing Rich Web Interfaces with
Design Patterns."
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zs75ote3bovmjs5usd2941he8t409g29cf0edtog

4th Annual Maker Faire Bay Area: Re-Make America
May 30-31, 2009
San Mateo County Fairgrounds
San Mateo, CA
According to USA Today, Maker Faire Bay Area is one of the ten best
places in the nation for a family-friendly, hands-on craft experience.
And this May's 4th Annual Maker Faire Bay Area is heeding President
Obama's call to "begin the work of remaking America." With the theme,
Re-Make America, Maker Faire celebrates the folks the President
described as the "risk takers, the doers, and the makers of things."
Plan on joining us at Maker Faire, May 30 & 31, at the San Mateo County
Expo Center. Tickets available for purchase now.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1ze3qc4smtkckmdcj6k6eu9ldjmcvf0kvm7o5nkog

Michael Barr at Embedded Software Boot Camp
Jun 1-5, 2009
Los Angeles, California
Join Michael Barr (Programming Embedded Systems, Second Edition) at the
Embedded Software Boot Camp. It's a one-week skills strengthening
program consisting of a series of lectures and hands-on exercises. This
intense educational (yet fun!) program is guaranteed to quickly and
dramatically raise the embedded programming skills of individuals and
teams.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zb4gk15sv43ii53ac8kmss0iqrqh6impin8kje60

Webcast: The Cloud Dilemma for Developers
Jun 2, 2009
In this webcast, Javier Soltero, CEO of Hyperic will discuss these and
other dilemmas developers face in the cloud and address the steps
companies can take to ensure that their applications' performance is not
affected by these challenges. This event is for any developer wanting
to:
-Hear how some developers are successfully leveraging cloud platforms to
build manageable applications
-Learn about the latest tools for instrumenting and managing
applications in highly virtualized and cloud environments
-Get tips on bringing IT and ops teams into the conversation early while
keeping the agility that pushed you to the cloud in the first place
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zd0gpq97gb0c1d3ur12vm6sjpuo57k7urh92k99g

Allison Randal at Silicon Valley Linux User Group
Jun 3, 2009
Mountain View, CA
Allison Randal (Perl 6 and Parrot Essentials) is chief architect and
lead developer of the open source project Parrot. She also works for
O'Reilly Media, planning the program for their Open Source Convention
(OSCON).
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z5did9ee3l3s6m7ogtt04sg9kb5jb23qqvkacc60

George Reese Keynotes Rockin' the Cloud
Jun 3, 2009
Metropolitan Ballroom
Minneapolis, MN
George Reese (Cloud Application Architectures) joins Reside CEO Matt
Meents for a big picture view of Cloud Computing: Its roots, its
relevancy, and its rapid growth as the preferred environment for
business platform development, hosting and management.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zau5gcec2mqckbs8h9d4vcfv9h8va6vstntut60g

Conferences and Special Events

User Group Discount Information for our upcoming conferences:

OSCON 2009
July 20-24, 2009
San Jose, CA
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z8cadl5siddapm5o5nqcpahsbo9db52drtip59e0

The 2009 O'Reilly Open Source Convention Moves to San Jose, CA--
Registration Now Open, So Make Your Plans

Use code "os09usrg" when you register, and receive 20% off
the registration price. Early registration ends on June 2.

To register for the conference, go to:
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z3hp9n2k02hp96lhi7mvhvvc10v6tsv3amr2dvio

---

Gov 2.0 Expo Showcase
Government as a Platform
Co-produced by O'Reilly Media and TechWeb
September 8, 2009
Washington, DC

Call for Proposals is Open
Gov 2.0 Expo Showcase is a one day event that previews the larger Gov
2.0 Expo scheduled for May 2010. Our goal is to highlight the projects
that are leading the way, those that leverage the web as a platform,
that drive towards transparency, participation and collaboration, that
drive down costs while they increase value. All these cutting-edge
efforts, married with a profound shift in thinking, are helping to build
what Tim O'Reilly has called "government as a platform." On September
8th, 20 innovators will show how this is really happening, concretely,
right now, inside (and outside) government. The submission deadline for
all proposals is June 30, 2009.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zmm9rsco42rq1t8g6gd856vgapiam6l5pnhat0kg

---

O'Reilly Velocity Conference
June 22-24, 2009
The Fairmont San Jose, San Jose, CA
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z13n33ah0cft4u2dgv4jt2c5kn8rpu55ipmg2qeo

Attending Velocity makes you competitive immediately because it is
rooted in practical application, sending you back to work with a deeper
understanding of how the technology and applications you deploy can
accelerate performance and deliver a better front end experience.

Use code "vel09usrg" when you register, and receive 20% off
the registration price.

To register for the conference, go to:
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zs59g14c6p44b2jkthsma9rj8dunrdfrblo22pu8

For a complete list of conferences, go to:
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zhnijgduasctgcijo6ah28niqd69hmes1ccs80g0

---

Ignite
If you had five minutes on stage what would you say? What if you only
got 20 slides and they rotated automatically after 15 seconds? Around
the world geeks have been putting together Ignite nights to show their
answers.

Create your own Ignite in your area
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zbrav6cj36buj2rtv74k1112csu97pcdbmutaqeg

Upcoming Ignite events:

Ignite Bend 2
June 4, 2009
Tower Theatre
Bend OR, USA
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zq0nc048s6mm08km9ie89m3fa4e605g441o91idg

Ignite Phoenix 4 - June 16th!
June 16, 2009
700 W Rio Salado Parkway
Tempe AZ
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z0ncvbfevj52277eh0dg79hmi25qh5ok06k7lc9o

Sparking it up in Salem
June 18, 2009
3893 Commercial St.
Salem OR
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zf8c2ijndkklc70k7ng8cbrhsotpdov0kqn8gn4o

For more events, go to
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zi88kthbo21m5f5ep5uj0foec9qkb7p924r06qd8

O'Reilly School of Technology
O'Reilly School of Technology Courses: UG Members Receive
a 30% Discount

By enrolling in the O'Reilly School of Technology, you can stay
competitive in Information Technology without the high cost or huge time
commitment. Our courses work around YOUR schedule, not the other way
around. And within months, not only will you have the University of
Illinois Certificate to display on your resume, you'll also have a
portfolio of projects that are sure to impress in your interviews!

OST's full-price tuitions are already lower than comparable continuing
education or community college courses. However, as an O'Reilly User
Group member, you save an additional 30% on all the courses in the
following University of Illinois Certificate Series:

-New--Database Administration Certificate
-Java Programming
-PHP/SQL Programming
-Linux/Unix System Administration
-Web Programming
-Open Source Programming
-.NET Programming
-Client-Side Web Programming featuring AJAX

To redeem, use Promotion Code "ORALL1" good for a 30% discount,
in Step #2 of the enrollment process. Each course comes with a free
O'Reilly book and a 7-day money-back guarantee.

Register online:
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zqckphg4k0fievhdfop7214tn577nf90hfasieig

(This discount is not combinable with other offers.)

News From O'Reilly & Beyond
---------------------
News & Blogs
---------------------
RubyLearning Interview: Author David Griffiths, "Head First Rails"

http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z159g21et6g1v9c44mjaskgpe6r8mdikb6tr2ta0

Why $9.99 Won't Always Be an eBook Pricing Ceiling

Have you stumbled across any of those Kindle owners who get angry
anytime they see an ebook price over $9.99? How about publishers who
insist on maintaining their print list price for the e-version? Btw, for
the record, at O'Reilly we typically fall somewhere in between; our
"digital list price" is generally less than the print list price and, of
course, Amazon is free to discount to an even lower price. As a
consumer, when I see a Kindle price over $9.99 I'm highly likely to skip
it.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zlud63klcvs1jmgpakc1j6oieke30e4rvckscfno

More Geo-Games: Ship Simulator on Google Earth

At Google I/O 2008 the Google Earth API was released. It brought Google
Earth's 3D capabilities to the web (with the help of browser
extensions). Since that release they've started supporting Macs. One
really nice part of the Google Earth API is the ability to create games
in the 3D world.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zq57k3g4dnqom4veemnv5pmjh7itmeevhokpfoe8

Scribd Store a Welcome Addition to Ebook Market (and 650 O'Reilly
Titles Included)

The document-sharing site Scribd has launched a new "Scribd Store"
selling view and download access to documents and books. As part of the
launch, there are now more than 650 O'Reilly ebooks now available for
preview and sale in the Scribd store, and all include DRM-free PDF
downloads with purchase. (Scribd will soon be adding EPUB as a format,
and we'll make that available as soon as possible.)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z45fb0b852hkird283o3pmjvrkh1776qda6dh618

Being a Suggested User Leads to Thousands of Twitter Followers

Ever since Twitter started suggesting accounts to new users, it was
clear that those on the suggested users list were gaining thousands of
followers. Setting aside the fact that number of followers is a poor
gauge of influence (see our Twitter report for details), I wanted to
know how many followers a suggested account gains by appearing on the
list.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zav66qo2t0ulmaqn0kltf4crgefnj80gm0rqnpg0

Announcing InsideRIA Conference

Yep, you heard correctly in association with the 360Conferences guys,
InsideRIA is having its first conference August 23-24, 2009 in San Jose,
CA at the eBay facilities. This 2-day event will get into the nitty
gritty of developing for the Rich Internet Application (RIA) space.
Sunday will be hands-on workshops to get you familiar with a few of the
RIA platforms. Monday will be a full day of sessions with 3 distinct
tracks: Development, Design/User Experience and Business Development.
All 3 tracks will be aimed at the RIA platform in general.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z8300709414oqp0t7ohd4oeqahfmmhbnh2ik4a4g

Until next time--

Marsee Henon

O'Reilly - Spreading the knowledge of innovators | oreilly.com

You are receiving this email because you are a User Group contact with
O'Reilly Media. If you would like to stop receiving these newsletters
or announcements from O'Reilly, send an email to marsee at oreilly.com.

O'Reilly Media, Inc. 1005 Gravenstein Highway North, Sebastopol, CA
95472 (707) 827-7000