[sf-perl] group logo

Jeff Bragg jackofnotrades at gmail.com
Thu May 21 10:02:27 PDT 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Quinn Weaver <quinn at fairpath.com> wrote:

> Hey, everyone,
>
> Sorry I'm catching up late.
>
> Jeff Bragg wrote:
>
> > It incorporates both Joe's coat of arms and a less violent but vaguely
> similar alternative to
> > David's suggestion.
>
> Huh?  A coat of arms' association with violence is vestigial at best.
> The comparison is like saying that an Edwardian dandy's cane is
> violent because it evolved from an Elizabethan nobleman's sword.

"...it amused me to picture a giant camel impaled on one of the towers of
the gg bridge."

I would consider impaling violent.  I'm not judging, nor trying to imply
that the image or statement in any way characterizes you, simply saying that
impaling generally comes up in a context of violence (e.g. Vlad the
Impaler).

> In any case, O'Reilly "maintain[s] the trademark on the use of camel
> in association with Perl."  They tolerate its use by Perl Mongers
> groups, but anything that borders on the commercial could be dicey.
> This is a good reason to avoid camels.

Fair enough.

> It's also the reason the Perl onion was invented:  to have a symbol
> that was owned by the Perl Foundation and truly free to use for the
> community .  However, the Perl Foundation hasn't really lived up to
> this vision; it's very restrictive about giving out hi-res (and SVG)
> onion images.  See http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl_trademark .
>
> So it would be really nice to have our own logo that is camel- and
> onion-free.  Joe's fulfills those criteria, and it's very visually
> distinctive.  I'm JAGM (just another group member), but I really like
> Joe's contribution.  YMMV.
>
> In any case, thanks to Jeff for putting in the work on an alternate
> design--it's always good to have alternatives.  And thanks to everyone
> for their feedback.  I love that I am totally superfluous to this
> group now ("'Now?'" people say ;) )

yw